Saturday, October 12, 2013

Old Dogs and New Tricks

Hello Dear Friends!

This is my first blog ever and proof that old dogs CAN learn new tricks!

Ever since I can remember I've wanted to live on a farm. I was in the 6th grade when we finally moved to the United States from Japan and my parents bought a few acres and a hardware store/gift shop in Tillamook, Oregon. As children that's what we did: lived on a farm. There was no idea of income or expenses. Mom & dad took care of everything and my brother and I did chores and helped out at the store. 

I loved doing chores. Dad started with three cows who had calves and this provided much of the family's meat. We also had ducks, chickens for meat and eggs, geese, and sheep. And of course, I had a horse. My horse and I did everything possible together. I saw a number of my classmates get into trouble because they didn't have anything meaningful to do after school. I was always busy with my horse, and as often as possible, I hung out with my good friend Zoe Behrens (now Zoe Behrens-Martens of Two Hats Ranch).

I understood when I graduated from high school (Tillamook High School Class of '79 woot! woot!) that I needed to go to college and get a "real" job. I had no idea of what I wanted to do but ended up moving to Columbia, SC in '81, getting a computer programming degree, getting married, having two beautiful daughters, and becoming a Christian. I worked in IT in various capacities until the end of 2008 when the market crashed. 

2008 was a really tough year. My second husband and I separated after a horrifying 10 year marriage, my dad passed away, my daughters were both fully out on their own, I had to put my dog down (cancer), and I was unemployed. I was really home alone! Everything I had worked for and held on to was crumbling away. My self-worth was so tied to my job title and salary it was a time of very serious re-evaluation of my self, my priorities, and what my life was about and could be about. I felt like I was in the middle of a raging ocean trying to let go of a life preserver in order to grab onto a life boat. To let go of one meant the possibility of not getting hold of anything, and in fact, I wasn't sure either the preserver or the boat would get me to dry land.

I was offered a job at Rosewood Market & Deli (thank you again Basil!) thinking it would be a temporary job until I gained professional work again. After three years of really diligent job searching, numerous interviews, and no luck, I threw up my hands and said, "God, I don't know what you want me to do!" I was exasperated! I felt Him say that He had made me and had put passions and desires in me for His good purpose. I realized that I wanted more than anything to live on a farm, educate and share Christ with youths who have such disconnected values and understanding of life, food, and health. And so, this leg of my life's journey began. God inspires me, I pray, God opens a door, and I walk through it. I'm not sure exactly where this will lead but I know the One leading me will not lead me astray!

As many of you know, I am now in Snow Camp, NC, working at Braeburn Farm. It is like paradise here which I will write about soon!

Please feel free to share my blog link with interested people and if anyone is interested in some really fabulous, 100% Grass Fed Beef please let me know. 
Braeburn Farm - The view from my front porch!

Love from the hearth, 

Jan

5 comments:

  1. Great job on your first blog...you write really well and I can't wait to read more! Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jan, I am sooooo proud of you. I am blessed to have been on part of the journey with you and look forward to seeing you flourish in the next chapter. Living on on the farm! Congrats~ and keep up the blogging I love it! Ginger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "The Southern Sassafras"! I love it! Do you have a blog? Would love to follow you on your journey as well my dear friend!

      Delete
  3. I am so glad you are living your dream, thanks for all you have done for me. Is what I told you about the cows right? Paxton

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, Ha, Yes, Paxton! I have confirmed, and you were right! The cows DO know what to do: Eat grass! And I love watching them do just that! :-)

      Delete